In a show of maturity over South Africa where police authorities were heard defending the Xenophobia by its people against particularly Nigerians doing businesses in the country, the Nigeria Police Wednesday moved against retaliation by some youths who invaded and looted shops identified as belonging to South Africans.
The DEFENDER reports that the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, had earlier warned Nigerians doing the looting that not only it hurts them more doing so but that they lose more as, according him, while the businesses are in Nigeria, they are also run and benefitting to Nigerians.
No fewer than 125 looters were arrested by the police in Lagos in connection with destruction of properties owned by South Africans in protesting the Xenophobic attack on Nigerians in South Africa.
The Inspector-General of Police, IGP, Mohammed Adamu, also ordered water-tight security around embassies, foreign missions, foreigners and their businesses within the country.
The order is against the backdrop of the unfortunate attack on Shoprite outlets in Lekki area of Lagos Sate on 3rd September, 2019 by some miscreants who attacked and looted the Malls ostensibly under the pretext of protesting against the incessant “xenophobic” attacks in South Africa.
A statement issued by Frank Mba, Force Public Relations Officer, said to this end, all Zonal Assistant Inspectors General of Police and Commissioners of Police across the federation had been placed on red alert to ensure no similar violence is replicated within the country.
The statement said the IGP condemned the violent attacks and noted that three police officers were seriously injured and a Police operational vehicle set ablaze.
“He also notes that a total number of One Hundred and Twenty-Five (125) suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident while a good number of looted valuables have been recovered by the Police.
“While recognizing the rights of citizens to air their views on salient national issues as enshrined in our statutes, the Force reiterates that these must be done within the confines of the law. Miscreants and criminally-minded people who masquerade as genuine protesters are therefore warned to stay-off the streets of Nigeria as the Force will not hesitate to bring to bear the full weight of the law on any such law breaker.
“Parents and Guardians are therefore enjoined to prevail on their children and wards to desist from acts capable of causing breakdown of law and order in the country,” the statement said.
According to the statement, the Force had commenced investigations and profiling of the arrested suspects with a view to establishing their connection with the stealing, malicious damage, arson and disturbance of public peace on the day of the incident.
“The Force is hereby reassuring all law-abiding citizens, embassies, foreign missions, foreigners and their businesses within the country of their security and safety,” it said.